||Clinical Research Unit of Nanoro
• Non pregnant women
- Describe the cross-sectional folate and vitamin B12 nutritional concentrations at baseline (235 ENR samples); Determine the longitudinal change of folate concentration between baseline (235 ENR samples) and end assessment (235 FIN samples).
- Assess the folate status by age in adolescents’ women (235 ENR samples).
- Describe folate and vitamin B12 nutritional status (FIN samples) in relation to anemia.
- Assess changes in homocysteine concentration between baseline (235 ENR samples) and end assessment (235 FIN samples) following folic acid and/or iron supplementation.
• Pregnant women
- Describe folate and vitamin B12 nutritional status in pregnant women (315 ANC1 samples), also in relation to anemia.
- In a sub-sample (57) seen at both FIN and ANC1 assess longitudinal change in folate concentration following folic acid supplementation
- In the single participant (participant number 1710) delivering a baby with a neural tube defect, determine folate/B12/homocysteine concentration at ENR and ANC1.
- In non-pregnant women cohort assess malaria risk at end assessment (FIN: 257 samples) in relation to their folate/B12 status at enrolment (ENR:257).
- In a cross-sectional sample of the non-pregnant cohort at FIN (235) assess malaria risk in relation to their folate/B12 status.
- In the pregnant sample at ANC1, assess malaria risk in relation to their folate/B12 at ANC1.
We propose to undertake an extended secondary analysis of nutritional and inflammatory biomarkers using reserve sera obtained in a completed periconceptional controlled trial of iron and folic acid supplementation in Burkina Faso, in order to determine the framework for a subsequent